[tz] Pulling the data apart ...

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Sep 13 18:32:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013, Lester Caine wrote:
>I've started on phase two which is extracting the data, but I'm
>falling at the first hurdle. Should there be a tab character between
>'Zone' and the name?

The input format is documented in the zic(8) man page.  Here's the
relevant part:

	Input lines are made up of fields.  Fields are separated from
	one another by any number of white space characters.

White space within a line is unlikely to be anything other than
spaces and tabs, but strictly speaking form feed, vertical tab,
carriage return, and line feed (a.k.a. newline), are also white
space characters, and any of these except newline may appear
within a line.  Realistically, you can expect any combination of
one or more spaces and tabs to appear between 'Zone' and the name,
or between any other fields.

--apb (Alan Barrett)