[tz] draft of change summary for next tz release

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 18 16:52:19 UTC 2013

On Sep 18, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> What I mean is that the old names where in official use for a period of time and those names are used in material created during that time, so the period that they were valid for is important information.

What do you mean by "valid"?  Unless some packager of the tzdb drops the "backward" file, those names are still "valid" in the sense that, for example, I can do

	TZ=US/Eastern date

or

	TZ=America/New_York date

and get the same answer (and I just *did* that on my OS X Mountain Lion system - Apple didn't drop the "backward" file - so the old names are *still* valid on my Mac, at least).