[tz] Time zone in Troll station

Bengt-Inge Larsson bengt-inge at tele2.se
Tue Feb 4 17:05:49 UTC 2014

Hello IANA!
I have noticed that a number of research stations in Antarctica are listed in the tz database,
but none in the UTC-1 to UTC+1 range, even if there should be such stations.

One such station is the Troll station, which is operated year-around and belongs to Norway.
I had a mail conversation with the responsible authority, the Norwegian Polar Institute, about which time zone the Troll station actually uses.

The Troll station station officially uses UTC+0. During the dark season March-October, when no air or overland travel is done, it uses Norwegian summertime UTC+2 to simplify communication.
So I suggest you add a new zone called Antarctica/Troll

You may confirm this through Paul-Inge Flakstad at the Norwegian Polar Institute  ( flakstad at npolar.no )

Yours Sincerely
Bengt-Inge Larsson
Sweden