[tz] China time zones 1949 - 1980: appeal to speakers of Mandarin

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 3 18:33:33 UTC 2014

On 07/03/2014 08:21 AM, J Andrew Lipscomb wrote:
> Questioning whether the other three Chinese zones should be removed or instead updated to the 1949 transition date.
 From the evidence we have so far, there's reasonable doubt whether the
other three Chinese zones actually existed, other than on paper.  Most
of the data in them appear to have been wrong, at any rate.  When
there's this much error and uncertainty in entries not needed for the tz
database's scope, it's better to omit them.

If this turns into a problem, I'd rather turn America/Montreal back into
a link than spend maintenance effort on these out-of-scope zones.  We
lack the resources to investigate what all the revolutionaries and
warlords and foreign occupiers did in China long ago, much less resolve
the inevitable historical disputes this would entail.