[tz] Proposal: Use Git and Github better

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Jul 27 10:05:56 UTC 2014

Hi Matt,
At 11:38 26-07-2014, Matt Johnson wrote:
>-- Item 4 --
>While Paul Eggert is the tz maintainer, and I appreciate his efforts
>greatly, I personally don't feel that it's appropriate for the github repo
>to be in his personal "eggert" account.  There should instead be a common
>"organizational account" for the project, such as github.com/tzdb or
>similar.  ("iana" is taken, but appears to be unused or abandonded.  Someone
>may want to inquire about obtaining it, as "github.com/iana/tz" would be
>quite appropriate IMHO).   Though Paul would be the administrator of this
>account, his own personal account would no longer be authoritative.

[snip]

>I look forward to feedback on these items.  I'm sure not all will be in
>agreement, but I think it's important that we look forward to new and better
>ways to manage this project - rather than just sticking with the ways of the
>past.

The messages at http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ianatransition/2014/
might be informative for anyone with an interest in IANA.  Item 4 is
about formalizing the maintenance.  The project loses flexibility
when things are too formal.  The tz maintainer might have to request
approval from some higher authority for changes even though there is
agreement on this mailing list.  I don't think that Paul Eggert has
been sticking with the ways of the past (
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-July/018126.html ).  The next
tz maintainer might find some better way to do the work.  I think
that it is better to avoid single point of failures.

Regards,
-sm