[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 06:30:28 UTC 2014

On 28/07/14 16:40, Patrice Scattolin wrote:
> Remember that if we remove historical transitions that are problematic,
> what we are actually doing is replacing them with a lack of transition.
> The database will still give an answer for these historical
> date/timezone combination. It may well give an answer that is wrong more
> often than it does now.  Before it might have had a transition date that
> is wrong, now it will not have any transitions at all. In the absolute,
> wouldn't that make more timezone with more dates that are wrong than is
> currently the case? If that's so, then isn't this a step backwards?

The problem currently is that prior to 1970 we have no idea if the data
we were working with 5 years ago was changed because it was a new quess
or changed because more accurate data is available. If content has been
tagged using what is proven to be incorrect assumptions, then it can be
reviewed and corrected with more accurate data. Simply changing
assumptions without having real facts to work against is never a good
way of working. LEAVE the data as it has been used until such time as a
fact comes along that proves a change is necessary. But what is actually
needed is a much more robust way of identifying just which historic
facts are being used?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL