[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 15:39:39 UTC 2014

On 29/07/14 05:28, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There are a few vocal people here who get very excited and frantic every
> time Paul tries to change something.  I am unconvinced that their position
> is as important as they think it is, or that the issues are anywhere near
> as significant as they think they are.  Regardless, the fact that they're
> very persistent and vocal about their positions doesn't make them right,
> nor does it mean that everyone agrees with them.

There are a number of problems with the current situation, and no
apparent wish to resolve it. Where data has already been normalised
using the current tz information, that data gives a value that ideal
will not change in the future. If the facts relating to that
normalization are proven to be wrong, then the data relating to it needs
to be reviewed. If the processing now returns a different value such as
simply switching off DST prior to 1970, or just dropping data  then
there is nothing to verify against. This is the sort of stability people
are asking for since having to revalidate data against a different
'guess' makes little sense.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL