[tz] Crimea to switch to Moscow Time as of March 30, 2014

lennox at cs.columbia.edu lennox at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 17 18:56:24 UTC 2014

On Monday, March 17 2014, "Alois Treindl" wrote to "tz at iana.org" saying:

> On 17.03.14 15:33, Paul Eggert wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the heads-up.  That notice says that they'll switch to Moscow
> > Time at 2pm, which means they'd advance their clocks by an hour once at
> > 01:00 UTC (03:00 local time) and once again at 14:00 local time.  Do you
> > think they'll really do that, or do you think that the notice or
> > translation is incorrect and Crimea will simply advance the clocks by
> > two hours at 01:00 UTC (03:00 local time)?

> I would not worry about that. If it comes from Google translation: I
> have observed that it tends to say things like '2 pm' when the Russian
> (or Ukrainian) original simply said '2 o'clock'.

2 am, i.e. an hour earlier than (the rest of) Ukraine goes onto Summer Time,
would make a lot more sense.  Does anyone have a link to the Crimean
government's (presumably) Russian language original, so we can confirm this?

Also, I note on Wikipedia that at least under Ukraine, Sevastopol was a
special administrative district, separate from the rest of Crimea.  Do we
have any confirmation that it'll be changing its clocks to Moscow time at
the same time as the rest of Crimea?

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs.columbia.edu