[tz] Crimea to switch to Moscow Time as of March 30, 2014

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 21:52:45 UTC 2014

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> This suggest we should have not Europe/Simferopol but Ukraine/Simferopol and
>> Russia/Simferopol.
>
> We are not a political body and do not have the resources to deal with political
> disputes.  That's why the tz database prefers more-neutral names like
> 'Europe/Simferopol', which (thank goodness) is the name the tz database is
> already using and which will be unaffected by the forseeable political changes
> in Crimea. At this point we should be thanking our lucky stars that the name is
> *not* Ukraine/Simferopol (or USSR/Simferopol or Russia/Simferopol or ...).
> Let's not mess with success.
>
> As for whether zone.tab should say UA or RU for Simferopol, we don't have the
> resources to arbitrate disputes like that either. If this turns into a real
> dispute that starts taking up our resources, then we'll need to change
> zone.tab's format so that it is less of a political flashpoint.  This will
> entail some technical conversion hassles, but in the long run that'll less work
> for us and for our users than the neverending political hassles.

The only hole I see currently is identifying the area that is covered by this
proposed change? Until such time as there is a stable agreement in the area then
'what is happening on the ground' is going to be variable? We can identify an
'additional' timezone although in reality this is simply moving an area of land
from one existing time zone to another? But just which land is affected is not
something that can be totally agreed today?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL