[tz] Recent conversions of zones to aliases

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri Oct 17 13:11:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 05:41, Mark Davis ☕️ wrote:
> Some alias relations are vastly different than others. The distinction
> between Asia/Calcutta and Asia/Kolkata does not matter for the purposes
> of
> localized names; they really identify the same place. So we need to map
> them together for the purpose of getting localized names.

What is a "localized name"? The timezone identifiers aren't meant to be
human-readable; you should be localizing the descriptions in
zone{1970,}.tab.

And even disregarding this... no, you don't, you can just localize them
both to the same thing. There aren't _that_ many timezones. Or maintain
your own unification table independent of aliases.