[tz] Recent conversions of zones to aliases

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Oct 17 15:34:00 UTC 2014

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 05:41, Mark Davis ☕️ wrote:
> > Some alias relations are vastly different than others. The distinction
> > between Asia/Calcutta and Asia/Kolkata does not matter for the purposes
> > of
> > localized names; they really identify the same place. So we need to map
> > them together for the purpose of getting localized names.
>
> What is a "localized name"?

​A name that is localized to a given language. I gave the example of the
Russian
Калькутта
​.​

The timezone identifiers aren't meant to be
> human-readable;

​Yes, that's what I said, if you read it.​

> you should be localizing the descriptions in
> zone{1970,}.tab.

​No, for the reasons I gave. Again, it doesn't look like you read
completely through what I wrote.​

> And even disregarding this... no, you don't, you can just localize them
> both to the same thing.

​Too many missing referents in your sentence to make sense of it.​

> There aren't _that_ many timezones. Or maintain
> your own unification table independent of aliases.

​Again, that's what we do do.