[tz] Confusion about links in backward and backzone files

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 2 17:54:29 UTC 2014

On 09/02/2014 09:22 AM, Jon Skeet wrote:
> It looks (from a brief look) like everything that's in backzone is
> also in backward

No, there are 41 names in 'backzone' but not in 'backward'.
Africa/Bamako is one example.

In 2014g every name in 'backzone' is also in some other file (e.g., in
'europe') so you won't get any new names by adding 'backzone'.  This may
not be true in future releases, though.

> things that would otherwise be defined as aliases may gain full zone
> rules, and aliases themselves may change

Yes.  The comment at the start of 'backzone' attempts to explain this
situation; see the part where it says "This file is not intended to be
compiled standalone".  Perhaps that bit should be moved to the start....

> I suspect that for the moment I just won't include backzone as a data
> source

I think that's wise.  It's bleeding-edge experimental right now, and I
wouldn't rely on its format staying the same in the next release.