[tz] Egypt transitions around Ramadan don't match timeanddate.com

Patsy Franklin pfrankli at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 16:45:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

In 2014e tzdata NEWS file stated:

>  Release 2014e - 2014-06-12 21:53:52 -0700
>>
>>   Changes affecting near-future time stamps
>>
>>     Egypt's 2014 Ramadan-based transitions are June 26 and July 31 at 24:00.
>>     (Thanks to Imed Chihi.)  Guess that from 2015 on Egypt will temporarily
>>     switch to standard time at 24:00 the last Thursday before Ramadan, and
>>     back to DST at 00:00 the first Friday after Ramadan.

Since Ramadan appears to start on Thursday, June 18 this year:
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/ramadan-begins

I'm not sure if we should be transitioning on June 18 or June 11.
tzdata is set to transition on the June 11.  While timeanddate is expecting
to transition on June 18.

The end of Ramadan transition back to DST also differs between timeanddate and
tzdata.

Can someone please confirm the correct transition dates?

Thanks!
Patsy