[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Dzmitry Kazimirchyk dkazimirchyk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:17:31 UTC 2015

On 4/2/15 3:01 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
> OK I've read the file again and the 2014 change is explained by ...
> http://eng.belta.by/all_news/society/Belarus-decides-against-adjusting-time-in-Russias-wake_i_76335.html
> Which specifically says in it's final paragraph 'The Moscow time will be
> used as the reference time to calculate the local time in these zones.'
> ... Is that not the published situation?

Sorry, but the more complete quote is

However, on 1 July 2014 the State Duma of the Russian Federation decided
that the country has to go back to winter time as from 26 October 2014.
As many as 11 time zones will be set up in Russia. The Moscow time will
be used as the reference time to calculate the local time in these zones.

And it is referring to 11 time zones in Russia itself. There is no word
about Russia controlling time zone rules in Belarus or that Belarus has
obligation to follow Russia's "Moscow time" in the future or is bound to
it in any way.

> MSK*IS*  simply a rule set - Europe/Minsk is the time zone identifier
> which provides the link to the set of rules bing used.

I understand, but it is there and is used to display time zone in
software far more often than "Europe/Minsk".

--
Dzmitry Kazimirchyk