[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 12:01:01 UTC 2015

On 02/04/15 12:26, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
> On 4/2/15 12:13 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
>> The TZ database does
>> not maintain a location mapping service, which is where the link between
>> any ground location and a set of rules in TZ should be established, and
>> it is that mapping service which would add any local descriptions and
>> details. The TZ database simply provides a reliable set of rules that
>> are accurate for the identifiers provided ... which are not locations.
>
> Sorry for not including this in my previous message, but I don't think
> it is completely true. MSK unlike many other time zones is in fact
> locationaly tied to Moscow. Otherwise it wouldn't explain its rules
> changing in 2011 and 2014 following Russia's government decisions.
>
> If hypothetically Russia will announce time zone rules change putting
> Moscow back to UTC+4 again, what will change in TZ database: MSK time
> zone rules or time zone for the Russia's Moscow region? I assume in this
> case Belarus even if staying at UTC+3 will not remain in MSK time zone
> and MSK rules will be changed instead, like it already happened in the
> past. I can see a certain bias here: while Moscow region is conveniently
> preserving its own time zone abbreviation, Belarus is forced to jump
> here and there confusing software and everyone else, totally depending
> on Russia's government decisions and outside of its own control.

OK I've read the file again and the 2014 change is explained by ...
http://eng.belta.by/all_news/society/Belarus-decides-against-adjusting-time-in-Russias-wake_i_76335.html
Which specifically says in it's final paragraph 'The Moscow time will be
used as the reference time to calculate the local time in these zones.'
... Is that not the published situation?

MSK *IS* simply a rule set - Europe/Minsk is the time zone identifier
which provides the link to the set of rules bing used.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL