[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Dzmitry Kazimirchyk dkazimirchyk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:26:09 UTC 2015

On 4/2/15 12:13 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
> The TZ database does
> not maintain a location mapping service, which is where the link between
> any ground location and a set of rules in TZ should be established, and
> it is that mapping service which would add any local descriptions and
> details. The TZ database simply provides a reliable set of rules that
> are accurate for the identifiers provided ... which are not locations.

Sorry for not including this in my previous message, but I don't think
it is completely true. MSK unlike many other time zones is in fact
locationaly tied to Moscow. Otherwise it wouldn't explain its rules
changing in 2011 and 2014 following Russia's government decisions.

If hypothetically Russia will announce time zone rules change putting
Moscow back to UTC+4 again, what will change in TZ database: MSK time
zone rules or time zone for the Russia's Moscow region? I assume in this
case Belarus even if staying at UTC+3 will not remain in MSK time zone
and MSK rules will be changed instead, like it already happened in the
past. I can see a certain bias here: while Moscow region is conveniently
preserving its own time zone abbreviation, Belarus is forced to jump
here and there confusing software and everyone else, totally depending
on Russia's government decisions and outside of its own control.

--
Dzmitry Kazimirchyk