[tz] tz-latest checksum

Paul G p.ganssle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:57:44 UTC 2015

I'm looking into writing a python script which retrieves the latest
timezone database from the FTP server, but I'm wondering if there's
anywhere that a checksum of the tz-latest files can be found anywhere.
At the moment, we manually specify the latest version of the database,
and calculate the sha512 checksum whenever it is updated.

I see that the GPG signature is available, but I would very much like to
avoid adding any dependencies to the library. Is there anywhere that I
retrieve the checksum for the latest tzdata file using one of the hashes
supported by hashlib? (SHA1, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512 or MD5) Of course
this defeats the implied MITM protection that retrieving a "known good"
or signed checksum provides, but it at least retains the checksum /
corrupted file protection.

Thanks!