[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 11 07:10:05 UTC 2015

On Jul 10, 2015, at 11:52 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 12:30 PM, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
>> I would love to be able to turn a tz release around in a week. That is not currently possible.
>
> It is currently possible to do it in far less time than a week, for other operating systems.

And I think any OS that can release updates for printer drivers, camera RAW input processing modules, and Web browsers without bundling them into a complete OS release can also release updates for the timezone databases without bundling them into a complete OS release.  (For the phones, tablets, set-top boxes, watches, etc., you could probably just push the update without even showing it to the user; localtime() etc. use notify(3) so that you shouldn't even need to reboot.)

Perhaps other OSes using the tzdb should figure out how to do individual component updates and apply that to the tzdb.

> For example, the 2014c release was turned around in about two hours by Debian, and in about three hours by Ubuntu; see <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2014-May/020907.html>. This wasn't a complete new OS release: it was merely a patch, but that's good enough to solve the problem.

Exactly.