[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 07:11:22 UTC 2015

On 11/07/15 07:52, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Two hours is pretty fast, and we can't expect redistributors to be that
> fast every time; even Debian doesn't do that.  But it should be
> eminently doable to release an automatically-installable patch within a
> week.  A three-month delay is waaayyy too long.

Much of the discussion on the specification on tzdist was disagreements
on just what format things would take. This is the perpetual problem
with many of these 'standards' and I can go on for hours about the
various 'quality' standards that have absolutely nothing to do with the
quality of the finished product as Mr. Ratner can testify. It is the
QUALITY of the underlying data which is the problem, not getting it out
fast, and there is nothing in tzdist to address that problem. The debate
on the missing historic data will go on ...

What we now need is a publisher who cleanly identifies just what range
of tzdata it is providing and will use tzdist in a manor where some one
like an international traveller switching on his mobile device after an
8 hour flight will be flagged that the time offset in the country they
have just landed in has changed over night. As happens in some middle
east countries. While the tzdist mechanism can pass on that information,
itt has no mechanism for either creating the data, or handling the data
once received.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL