[tz] Time Zone City for China

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 22 09:26:37 UTC 2015

On Jul 21, 2015, at 7:19 AM, "寇含军" <hjkou at qq.com> wrote:

> Looks like this logic is not well understood by the communities.

Then we need to do a better job of explaining it to them.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgweather/+bug/228554
> Even the latest Ubuntu systems still only have Shanghai in the "Time and Date Settings".

Wow, that's a *depressingly bad* time zone selector.

Somebody should complain.

In fact, somebody just did:

	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-control-center/+bug/1477032

Hopefully this will help the communities understand the logic better.

Perhaps I shall set up a VM with the latest Fedora and see if it's any better and, if not, file another bug there.  (Maybe SuSE as well?  Un-Canonicalized Debian?)

> The same thing for PHP: http://php.net/manual/en/timezones.asia.php
>
> It's better if you could add the "Asia/Beijing" identifier.

It's even *better* if time zone selectors stopped turning the list of tzdb identifiers into a list of cities to offer to the user or, even worse, just offering the tzdb identifiers directly as choices to users.  Then it won't *matter* to non-nerds what identifiers are offered (and nerds will understand that the identifiers are, as Paul said, tzdata-specific identifiers not intended to be visible to non-experts, and won't worry about it).

Apple doesn't expose the list of tzdb identifiers to non-nerd end users, and nobody else should, either.