[tz] Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to retain “leap second”

Paul_Koning at dell.com Paul_Koning at dell.com
Fri Nov 20 19:45:17 UTC 2015

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 11:46 AM, walter harms <wharms at bfs.de> wrote:
>

> Am 20.11.2015 16:53, schrieb Paul_Koning at dell.com:

>> I'm puzzled.  Are there still marine navigators who have a sextant at hand, never mind know how to use one, let alone active use it?  And celestial navigation in airplanes disappeared, what, 50 years ago?  More?
>>
>> 	paul
>>

> The US Navy does:
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/10/19/u_s_naval_academy_reinstates_celestial_navigation_education.html

That's not what the article says.  It says that the academy is doing a 3 hour intro on celestial navigation.  That doesn't teach much more than "this technology exist and in decades past there were people who knew how to use it".

Now, if they brought back the full course, and started putting sextants, chronometers, and nav tables on every navy ship, then I'd agree.

	paul