[tz] efele.net/tz maps updated

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Sun Nov 29 08:28:28 UTC 2015

On Sunday 2015-11-08 10:31 -0800, Eric Muller wrote:
> I have updated the efele.net/tz maps (http://efele.net/maps/tz/) to be in
> sync with TZ 2015g. The new zones:

It's great to see this updated.

A few comments on the data:

 (1) There are a few shapes in the maps that correspond to zones
     that are now links.  (These are at least America/Coral_Harbour,
     America/Montreal, Asia/Chongqing, Asia/Harbin, Asia/Kashgar,
     and Pacific/Yap.  Those are the zones that are now links that
     are no longer listed in zone.tab; many other links are still
     listed in zone.tab, so I didn't catch those.)  It's not clear
     to me if it is intentional to retain these as distinct shapes
     given that you already have the map data for them, or whether
     it would be better to merge them into the shapes for the zones
     that they are now linked to.

 (2) I noticed that the map uses the Sudanese claim for the border
     between Egypt and Sudan.  This surprised me a little bit given
     that it was my understanding that Egypt had de-facto control of
     the one of the three deviations between the claims that is
     populated:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hala'ib_Triangle .
     Then again, my only source here is Wikipedia, so there may well
     be more authoritative information about what timezone is used
     in the Hala'ib Triangle.

 (3) When overlaying on other maps, I notice that the edges of the
     Aral sea are rather out-of-date.

(I've been playing with using the data to draw a "live" timezone map
on the Web, i.e., a map of the world with time zone lines as they
are at a particular time, including summer time shifts, but with
boundaries shown only where there are actual time changes at that
time.  I'm not happy with what I have yet (mainly because it's still
rather slow), though the source is at
https://github.com/dbaron/timezone-map .)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know