[tz] question about SHA512 when using tzdata

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 16 08:39:05 UTC 2015

gerar.moisset at orange.com wrote:
> tzupdater tool would update with tzdata version: tzdata2015g
> Error encountered while downloadinghttps://javadl-esd-secure.oracle.com/update/tzupdater/tzdata2015g.tar.gz.sha512

That looks like an Oracle URL, so I'd ask the Oracle folks who are maintaining
the tzupdater data.

To generate the SHA-512 checksums in the tz release announcements, I use the GNU
coreutils implementation of the sha512sum command, like the following shell command:

sha512sum tzcode2015g.tar.gz tzdata2015g.tar.gz

The GNU sha512sum command is documented here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/sha2-utilities.html

and you can use its -c option to verify a checksum.