[tz] question about SHA512 when using tzdata

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 09:07:55 UTC 2015

On 16/10/2015 09:39, Paul Eggert wrote:
> To generate the SHA-512 checksums in the tz release announcements, I use
> the GNU coreutils implementation of the sha512sum command, like the
> following shell command:
>
> sha512sum tzcode2015g.tar.gz tzdata2015g.tar.gz

Would it be worth using the -b option to treat the input as a binary
file?  I know there is no difference between text and binary files on
UNIX-like systems, but this marks the file as binary (by prefixing the
filename with an asterisk) on the output line for the benefit of
non-UNIX-like systems.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-