[tz] 2016c on illumos - problems with new Russia entries

Paul G paul at ganssle.io
Fri Apr 8 15:52:40 UTC 2016

I don't know why there's no binary distribution, but it's certainly useful to have an architecture independent binary standard, since it makes it much easier to write cross platform software that interprets the binaries.

Having a "source" distribution is presumably useful for situations where you want to build only a subset of the dataset (e.g. in restricted memory situations), or if you have your own modifications that you patch in for whatever reason.