[tz] Montreal timezone

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Mon Apr 18 15:28:51 UTC 2016

Hi

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Vincent Tourneyrie wrote:

> I discovered that you are at the origin of the removal of the
> Montreal/America timezone and it's integration within Toronto.
>
> The problem is that this move to a secondary timezone leads to tons of
> problems and hours of corrections and explanation (mainly due to quick
> and dirty implementations of TZ but I cannot blame half of the
> developers of the planet). The fact that PHP uses this list expose
> this timezone list to the public.

Yes, and that lists, if you want, includes "outdated" timezones as well:

derick at whisky:/tmp $ php -n -r 'var_dump( timezone_identifiers_list( DateTimeZone::ALL_WITH_BC ) );' | egrep '(Montreal)|(Toronto)'
  string(16) "America/Montreal"
  string(15) "America/Toronto"

> I got many angry comments on this change from French speaking people
> and Europeans because Toronto is less recognized and known (not to
> mention loved) than Montreal.
>
> We have 8 millions of Quebec people which will drag their feet to
> adopt (in fact most of them put NY)  and probably half of 220 millions
> francophone who have no idea where Toronto is (like many people know
> where Geneva is but have no idea where Zurich is).
>  It looks that you do not get that end users use this.
>
> I understand the willing of normalization but Toronto will never be
> significant as TZ name for all Eastern Time in Canada.
>
> I think this change has to be reversed,

PHP keeps the old "deprecated" entries as well, so I'm not sure what
you're asking. America/Montreal works just as well as America/Toronto:

derick at whisky:/tmp $ php -ddate.timezone=America/Montreal -r 'echo date("Y-m-d H:i:s e O");'
2016-04-18 11:23:03 America/Montreal -0400

derick at whisky:/tmp $ php -ddate.timezone=America/Toronto -r 'echo date("Y-m-d H:i:s e O");'
2016-04-18 11:23:11 America/Toronto -0400

cheers,
Derick
PHP Date/Time support maintainer

--