[tz] Montreal timezone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:37:13 UTC 2016

On 04/13/2016 07:47 PM, Vincent Tourneyrie wrote:

> The fact that PHP uses this list expose this timezone list to the public.

America/Montreal is still in tzdata and there are good
backward-compatibility arguments for keeping it there. The symptoms you
describe correspond to PHP bug 70816
<https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70816>. This bug affects not only
America/Montreal, but many other tzdata identifiers, e.g.,
America/Buenos_Aires, Asia/Calcutta, Asia/Chongqing, and (my favorite!)
Antarctica/South_Pole.

I briefly looked at the PHP source code but could not determine how it
decides which identifiers to publish. Apparently it's done by some
procedure outside of the source code itself, a procedure that generates
part of the source code.

I'll CC: this to Derick Rethans, who is expert on PHP time zones and may
be able to explain what's going on and how to fix it. Derick, the thread
starts here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-April/023551.html