[tz] Astrakhan region got approval to change its time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 16 07:25:27 UTC 2016

Matt Johnson wrote:
> it seems to me that the people living in the region will consider this as a move from Moscow time to Samara time.

I really doubt whether they'll think they're on Samara time. Samara is roughly a
17-hour nonstop drive north. That would be like people in San Diego thinking
that they're on Portland time.

All this SAMT / VLAT / etc. business is entirely our invention; it has little to
do with how the Russians view time zones, or (more importantly) with how they
are abbreviated in reliable English-language sources.