[tz] If you lie about the time zone, your iPhone will have its revenge

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 19 13:02:18 UTC 2016

Guy Harris wrote:
> The point is that I'm not sure how something that doesn't actually
> change the system clock, such as moving from one time zone to another,
> would trigger this.

I'm guessing that they have some code that monitors the battery's
performance over long intervals, keeping data on charge and
discharge rates and how they slowly change over time as the
battery ages, only somebody accidentally used local rather than
UTC timestamps, and the resulting anomalies if the offsets change
get magnified by long lever arms (so to speak) to create
potentially large aberrations in the displayed results.