[tz] tzdata for 2016 leap seconds

Bradley White bww at acm.org
Fri Sep 2 15:42:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Andreas Stieger <astieger at suse.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 09/02/2016 04:38 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Jimmy Wang (jcwang) wrote:
> >> Is there anyway that this can be published sooner? Many of our
> >> upstream vendors won't release their tzdata update until the official
> >> tzdata is published.
> >
> > This topic has come up recently on the mailing list; please see the
> > threads containing these messages:
> >
> > http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-September/024031.html
> > http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-August/023914.html
> >
> > Briefly, I don't know why end users need leap seconds to be pushed out
> > more urgently than other tzdata changes. Perhaps you could let us know
> > why Cisco's end users need this?
>
> We (SUSE) have already released update due to demand from customer with
> extraordinarily long patch deployment cycles. In most configurations,
> however, the leap second announcement is actually received through the
> ntp protocol from reference clocks, rather than being inserted from a
> local database. This may vary for appliances but even those should be
> synced via ntp?

Just to clarify, the leap-second table in the tzdata is only for running in
"right" mode, where clocks tick through leaps and so don't need any
indication that leaps happen.  Indeed, if you were using "right" mode you
would need to modify your NTP stack so that the NTP timestamps and the
local-clock timestamps could even be compared.