[tz] Are tzdata2016g & tzdata-latest missing the VERSION file?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:35:03 UTC 2016

On 09/30/2016 10:22 AM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

>     That would mean the Makefile would differ from what's in the
>     repository.
>
> Why is that a problem?

It's normal to distribute files unmodified from a repository. That way,
when people compare what they have to what is in the repository, they
see just the changes they've made. This is what we've always done for
the tz project.

You're right that we could go the other way and distribute files that
purposely differ from what's in the repository. However, I suspect this
would cause more trouble than it cures, in the long run.