[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Dec 4 22:13:38 UTC 2017

Brian Inglis said:
>> I'd suggest a first step would be to provide a unique - reasonably short -
>> opaque id for each definition. That allows us to build out a localization
>> framework around it.
> Feel free to write a script to mv each path to its lat/long (and create a link
> to its previous name(s) for compatibility) as that is the only other reasonably
> stable property of the tz db usable as a name and a l14n reference: otherwise
> people will assume the id will always be around and mean something, as with zone
> names, country codes, tz abbrs, etc.

What's wrong with just labelling the present zones with randomly allocated
letter-digit-letter codes? That gives us 6760 codes that don't look like
city names or commonly-used abbreviations. We can then reserve
letter-letter-digit for future expansion and digit-letter-letter for
private use.

As soon as people know it's lat/long, they'll try to map it to cities and
the same arguments will start again.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.