[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ

Tue Dec 5 04:16:45 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-04 14:59, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2017, at 1:36 PM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>> Feel free to write a script to mv each path to its lat/long (and create a link
>> to its previous name(s) for compatibility) as that is the only other reasonably
>> stable property of the tz db usable as a name and a l14n reference: otherwise
>> people will assume the id will always be around and mean something, as with zone
>> names, country codes, tz abbrs, etc.
> Presumably "its lat/long" means "the latitude/longitude of (some point
> within) the city being used to give a name to the tzdb region".

The lat/long, that is already available as a semantic property in zone.tab, as a
consistent, externally verifiable, id (not name) for i14n and UI references.
We could then eliminate country codes and TZ names from zone.tab, and expand the
comments to (perhaps multi-line, leading blank space continuation) textual
descriptions of applicable countries (and their internal subdivisions), etc. in
a new file e.g. id.tab or coord.tab.
All links would also be changed to ids.