[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 5 05:38:22 UTC 2017

On Dec 4, 2017, at 8:16 PM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-12-04 14:59, Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>> Presumably "its lat/long" means "the latitude/longitude of (some point
>> within) the city being used to give a name to the tzdb region".
>
> The lat/long, that is already available as a semantic property in zone.tab,

Which is, presumably, the latitude/longitude of (some point within) the city being used to give a name to the tzdb region.

(Just out of curiosity, how was that point chosen? The commentary says "principal location", but an arc second on the Earth's surface is about 20-30 meters, so there are a lot of degrees/minutes/seconds points inside the Big Apple, and even with arc minutes, which are about 1.2-1.8 km, Manhattan Island is more than one arc minute high.  The Wikipedia cites the U.S. Gazetteer:

	https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/gazetteer.html

as saying that New York is at 40°42′46″N 74°00′21″W; are we using sources such as that and its equivalents for other countries?)