[tz] Kyiv

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Dec 15 23:45:09 UTC 2017

I searched "(kiev OR kyiv) site:____" with various English-language news
sites on Google News, and sorted each result by date to get a recent
article which referred specifically to the Ukrainian capital:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/opinion/mikheil-saakashvi
li-ukraine-russia.html
2017-12-15: "After students were beaten in Kiev’s central square…"

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-wknd-et-kuz
in-20171124-story.html
2017-11-24: "…knew it was time to leave his home of Kiev, Ukraine."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/corr
uption-makes-ukraine-even-more-vulnerable-to-russia/2017/12/
14/5c0e3122-df6a-11e7-bbd0-9dfb2e37492a_story.html
2017-12-14: "Kiev has been the scene of a somewhat farcical drama this
month…"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/politics/paul-manafort-russia/index.html
2017-11-25: "…obtained from a government source in the Ukrainian capital,
Kiev."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/ukraine-s-lgbtq-sold
iers-hope-their-service-will-change-hearts-n822291
2017-11-28: "…March for Equality, an LGBTQ event in Kiev…"

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/15/reporters-notebook-p
utins-talk-thon-experience-like-no-other.html
2017-12-15: "…don’t want what has happened in Kiev to happen in their
cities."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/15/gerard-pique-
sometimes-criticised-say-not-worried/
2017-12-15: "…the final of the Champions League in Kiev in May…"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/08/ukrainian-poli
ce-recapture-former-georgian-president-saakashvili
2017-12-08: "…the opposition leader had been detained by police in Kiev…"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42289481
2017-12-09: "…was dragged from his home in Kiev and arrested."

https://news.sky.com/story/ex-georgia-president-mikheil-saak
ashvili-broken-free-from-police-custody-11157379
2017-12-05: "…an apartment in the capital Kiev…"

http://www.smh.com.au/world/paul-manafort-and-russian-collea
gue-ghostwrote-editorial-special-counsel-20171204-gzyrbx.html
2017-12-05: "…ran Manafort's office in Kiev…"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-06/ukraine-protesters-fre
es-former-georgian-president-after-arrest/9230676
2017-12-05: "The turmoil in Kiev is just the latest challenge for the
Ukrainian Government…"

Indeed, it seems these major English-language news outlets almost
universally use "Kiev" to this day, except when the place name is used as
part of a different proper noun, such as when referring to the *Kyiv Post*
<https://www.kyivpost.com/>.  It's even in the BBC News style guide to use
"Kiev" and not "Kyiv":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/journalism/article/art20130702112133537

Although several of these outlets have written articles on the differences
in orthography over the years, until there is enough common usage of "Kyiv"
in the English language that a significant number of these outlets decide
to switch, it is reasonable to say that "Kiev" remains the
generally-accepted English spelling despite certain governmental
recognitions of "Kyiv".  But this is not the venue for that discussion.

--
Tim Parenti