[tz] [PROPOSED] date +%z now outputs -0000 for uninhabited

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Sun Jan 15 12:14:20 UTC 2017

On 15 Jan 2017 09:19, "Paul Eggert" <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

Jon Skeet wrote:

> If the time in UTC is known, but the offset to local time is unknown,
>> this can be represented with an offset of "-00:00". This differs
>> semantically from an offset of "Z" or "+00:00", which imply that UTC
>> is the preferred reference point for the specified time.
>>
> That's not what we intend to convey in this case, is it?

No, it's pretty much what we want to convey. In the case in question, the
time in UTC is known, and local time is undefined which means it is
unknown. An example is Antarctica/Troll before 2005, when Troll Station was
uninhabited

Fair enough - that makes sense. Will have to check whether this will need a
change in Noda Time...

Jon