[tz] [PROPOSED] Remove many invented abbreviations in 'asia'

dikshie dikshie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:09:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Michael H Deckers via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>    On 2017-01-13 19:44, Paul Eggert proposed to use numeric
>    instead of invented abbreviations.
>
>    I have two questions regarding the proposal.
>
>    The acronym WITA is used for UT + 08 h with Asia/Makassar
>    before 1964, while it is not used for UT + 08 h with
>    Asia/Pontianak before 1964, nor with Asia/Jakarta. This
>    seems to be a bit unsystematic. Why not just avoid every
>    proleptic use of WITA, as it is done for WIT (for UT + 09 h):
>
>    Zone Asia/Makassar  7:57:36 -  LMT   1920
>                        7:57:36 -  MMT   1932 Nov   # Macassar MT
>                        8:00    -  +08   1942 Feb  9
>                        9:00    -  +09   1945 Sep 23
>   +                    8:00    -  +08   1964
>                        8:00    -  WITA

even as native Indonesian, I don't know when Indonesia begin to use
the abbreviation (WIB, WITA, and WIT).
President decree number 41 year 1987 does not mention the abbreviation
and I don't have original document of previous President decree
(President decree number 243 year 1963)   [1].

[1] http://bit.ly/2iM6enZ

Best Regards,

Dikshie

--