[tz] [PROPOSED] Remove many invented abbreviations in 'asia'

Michael Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 08:06:04 UTC 2017

    On 2017-01-17 22:09, dikshie wrote:

> [E]ven as native Indonesian, I don't know when Indonesia began to use
> the abbreviation (WIB, WITA, and WIT).
> President decree number 41 year 1987 does not mention the abbreviation
> and I don't have original document of previous President decree
> (President decree number 243 year 1963)   [1].

    Thanks for the source which gives the full
    names of the three time zones.

    The decree of 1963 probably has established the
    three time zones with UTC + 07 h, UTC + 08 h,
    and UTC + 09 h. Before that time, the names
    Waktu Indonesia Barat and Waktu Indonesia Tengah
    would have made little sense because both
    regions used UTC + 07:30 h.

    My point, however, was not the proleptic use of
    WITA in itself but only its unsystematic
    consequence in the proposed change to tzdb:
       from 1948-05 until 1950-05, all three time
       scales of Asia/Jakarta, Asia/Pontianak, and
       Asia/Makassar agree with UTC + 08 h; but the
       tzdb abbreviations are different: two use
       +08, and one uses WITA.
    This is unlikely to reflect local practice.

    Michael Deckers.

---