[tz] Turks & Caicos to resume DST; details unclear

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jul 23 01:14:59 UTC 2017

According to an article published in the Bahamas website Magnetic Media, the
cabinet of Turks & Caicos decided on Thursday to resume the practice of daylight
saving time starting in 2018. The article does not give enough details to update
the database (it confuses summer with winter time, among other things). My guess
is that Turks & Caicos will revert to its pre-2015 practice of staying in sync
with New York, which means that tzdb's predictions for its UTC offsets will
become wrong in November 2018, and the abbreviations and tm_isdst flag will
become wrong some time between March and November 2018 (although the article
implies April, this could well be an error).

When the cabinet and/or the Turks & Caicos Weekly News get around to publishing
the details of the decision, we should be able to update tzdb to reflect this
change with some accuracy.

Gordon Z. PDM to reinstate Daylight Savings Time. Magnetic Media 2017-07-20.
http://magneticmediatv.com/2017/07/pdm-to-reinstate-daylight-savings-time/

("PDM" is the People's Democratic Movement.)