[tz] FW: Beginner's help request

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu Nov 23 13:35:21 UTC 2017

Daniel Ford wrote:
>So that rules out running zic, zdump and any such programs.

It's a bit unclear, but I think compiling zic et al from tzdb and running
them locally falls under the rubric of "shell script to manipulate the
data and create new files".  You don't need zic to be installed as a
proper part of the shared server environment.  What you do need installed
(which should be unobjectionable if they're not already installed)
are make(1) and a C compiler.

>3. Copy the rule files to a single file: 'cp africa antarctica asia
>australasia europe northamerica southamerica zoneData.txt'

That's not how cp(1) is used.  You'll want cat(1) to concatenate them.

-zefram