[tz] time and cost to reprogram computers for DST in Japan

Mon Aug 20 05:52:22 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-19 11:29, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>> some of this code has to be touched for the new era name
>> anyway, and *that*  work is supposed to complete within a few months.
>> (The last era transition was in 1989.)
> Conversely, this could overload programmers responsible for time-and-date code,
> and these people are reasonably-scarce resources in Japan. This point was made
> today in the Yomiuri Shumbun:
> "If the practice is indeed implemented as an experiment, starting in 2019, this
> would coincide with the systemic renewal that will accompany the scheduled
> change in the name of an era next spring. Burdens on the parts of companies and
> employees are likely to become heavier."
> http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004670471

A bit of a compilation of other opinions with no attempt at analysis or conclusion.
If folks are poking at date-time code to support another Era, announced with
only a few months notice (like some other events), and can finish within a few
months, adding support for DST at the same time using existing tested
mechanisms, should not add significantly to the dev or QA effort, or increase
the project time frame.
The possibilities for those who choose to reinvent the wheel (badly) are
unlimited in every sense.

> A bigger problem, to my mind, is another point made in the same piece. Japan has
> a long tradition of "You don't stop working until it's dark" which meant that
> the last time DST was tried, many people simply had to work another hour every
> day. This led to so much public discontent that DST was scrapped. What would be
> different this time?

If double DST was applied, would these people just be working two hours longer,
with less time for social or leisure viewing?
Is the culture such that these workers would not be at home watching the
Olympics in any case, or would most or some be watching it in bars with their
boss and colleagues after dark?
So who would have time to attend events, or are companies expected to buy blocks
of discounted tickets, and allow, encourage, or compel workers and/or their
families to attend?