[tz] [english 99%] Re: [PROPOSED] Support zi parsers that mishandle negative DSToffsets

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Sat Feb 10 16:14:16 UTC 2018

Although most Java users like me and millions other really appreciate
your work very much, I fear you don't fully understand how Java world
works/ticks. The big majority of Java users is not willing to run any
shell scripts or macros just because it would not be compatible with the
major goal to create platform-independent Java software. So the only
real primary interface from the perspective of a Java user consists of
the source code files like "Africa", "Europe" etc. I myself can surely
not use your macro "Make" because that would require me and other users
of public Java APIs to download extra non-Java-software components even
on unknown future platform-specific environments. It is only interesting
for those Java users who just develop private-only tools for a known
specific platform but this is clearly a minority.

And I still think that extra source code files with documented reliable
formats would far more serve the specific needs of Java users without
the need to change the zic input, so no problem either for the
Unix-world or for Java commune. Macros and shell scripts might be very
fine in Unix world but are a no-go for most Java users.

I hope that you take this into your considerations.

Meno