[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Jan 19 08:42:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-19 00:14:16 (-0800), Paul Eggert wrote:
>Philip Paeps wrote:
>>Given the number of things this break, I would suggest backing the
>>change out for now but pointing out in NEWS that it will come back
>>say one year from now.
>>
>>Replace the actual change by a comment that the current data is
>>inaccurate pending software being fixed.
>
>Thanks, this sounds like a good way to go. Proposed patch attached,
>and installed into the development version on GitHub. Presumably there
>should be a 2018c release quite soon, to get this temporary workaround
>out the door. (2018b has been prepared and published but not
>announced, since the problems with ICU and OpenJDK became apparent
>during the post-publication process.)

This patch looks good.  Thank you.

To avoid churn for consumers of the tzdb, could you please warn the list
a few days before you intend to release a version so it can be sanity
checked before the release?

2018a and 2018b should probably have been 2018a-rc1 and 2018a-rc2
(though I don't think they need Git tags to reflect that) and after the
discussions we just had, finally 2018a could have been released.

>There is a conflict between the goals of "let's not break anything" and
>"let's match civil timekeeping practice". I lean towards doing the
>latter as long as it doesn't cause too much trouble for the former.

Likewise.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps