[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Fri Jan 19 12:00:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2018-01-19 00:14:16 (-0800), Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Philip Paeps wrote:
> > > Given the number of things this break, I would suggest backing the
> > > change out for now but pointing out in NEWS that it will come back
> > > say one year from now.
> > >
> > > Replace the actual change by a comment that the current data is
> > > inaccurate pending software being fixed.
> >
> > Thanks, this sounds like a good way to go. Proposed patch attached,
> > and installed into the development version on GitHub. Presumably
> > there should be a 2018c release quite soon, to get this temporary
> > workaround out the door. (2018b has been prepared and published but
> > not announced, since the problems with ICU and OpenJDK became
> > apparent during the post-publication process.)
>
> This patch looks good.  Thank you.
>
> To avoid churn for consumers of the tzdb, could you please warn the
> list a few days before you intend to release a version so it can be
> sanity checked before the release?

As Paul now uses Git (I know, for experimental purposes), it would not
be too difficult to set up some build checks with Travis. Anytime he
pushes something, it can sanity checks. For example, run "make" and see
whether it compiles (which would for example have caught the pacificnew
issue). I'd be more than happy to have a look at this, and prepare a PR
for it. If anybody has other sanity checks that can be automatically
run, that would make it less likely that "trivial" issues like this
would crop up.

Paul, I also think it would be good if you could "git tag" each release
when you make them, instead of just having the "Release 2018b" text.

cheers,
Derick

--
https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io