[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Jan 19 08:54:40 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-19 08:44:12 (+0000), Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>Thanks for the revert, however I disagree that it is an appropriate
>change to make in general.
>
>The IANA charter of TZDB says:
>"To be clear, the TZ Coordinator SHALL NOT set time zone policy for a
>region but use judgment and whatever available sources exist to assess
>what the average person on street would think the time actually is, or
>in case of historical corrections, was."
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6557
>
>I do not believe that the "average man on the street" in Ireland
>thinks their clocks go back in winter, I think they believe their
>clocks go forward in summer. More specifically, the project is about
>de facto time as perceived by the masses, not what the legal documents
>say.

Actually, "in the fall, clocks fall back" is a way at least some people
remember what to do with their clocks when going in or out of DST.  I
have no idea where I first heard that though.

I think the "average man in the street" anywhere in the world that
observes DST merely wishes people would stop messing with his clocks
every time it happens.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps