[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Fri Jan 19 14:57:22 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-19 01:54, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2018-01-19 08:44:12 (+0000), Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>> Thanks for the revert, however I disagree that it is an appropriate
>> change to make in general.
>>
>> The IANA charter of TZDB says:
>> "To be clear, the TZ Coordinator SHALL NOT set time zone policy for a
>> region but use judgment and whatever available sources exist to assess
>> what the average person on street would think the time actually is, or
>> in case of historical corrections, was."
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6557
>>
>> I do not believe that the "average man on the street" in Ireland
>> thinks their clocks go back in winter, I think they believe their
>> clocks go forward in summer. More specifically, the project is about
>> de facto time as perceived by the masses, not what the legal documents
>> say.
>
> Actually, "in the fall, clocks fall back" is a way at least some people remember
> what to do with their clocks when going in or out of DST.  I have no idea where
> I first heard that though.

Somewhere in the States?

As most places in the world say localized versions of "Summer time", the inverse
may be "Winter time", true time, offical time, normal time, or just [region] time.

> I think the "average man in the street" anywhere in the world that observes DST
> merely wishes people would stop messing with his clocks every time it happens.

Places with few extra daylight hours in summer probably appreciate the addition,
whereas places near the tropics and circles wish politicians would stop messing
with clocks for no useful purpose.