[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 13:00:27 UTC 2018

On 25/01/18 02:48, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
> CLDR does not have time zone names for dates before 1990. Historic
> zone names never used in a last few decades are not included. This is
> mainly
> because reducing overhead of managing localized names. Our primary focus
> is to provide good localized display names in modern software, not trying
> to provide every possible names historically used.

Which is only exacerbating the problem ... if CLDR is unable to support
pre 1990 dates properly then we do need another service that can cope!
Genealogical data and history in general can't simply be swept under the
carpet ... TZ while not promoting pre 1970 data does at least have it
available. Now I know CLDR does not support historic material I can make
sure I avoid using it at all!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL