[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Yoshito Umaoka yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 25 14:28:45 UTC 2018

> > CLDR does not have time zone names for dates before 1990. Historic
> > zone names never used in a last few decades are not included. This is
> > mainly
> > because reducing overhead of managing localized names. Our primary
focus
> > is to provide good localized display names in modern software, not
trying
> > to provide every possible names historically used.
>
> Which is only exacerbating the problem ... if CLDR is unable to support
> pre 1990 dates properly then we do need another service that can cope!
> Genealogical data and history in general can't simply be swept under the

> carpet ... TZ while not promoting pre 1970 data does at least have it
> available. Now I know CLDR does not support historic material I can make

> sure I avoid using it at all!

CLDR is able to support names used for pre 1990 dates only technically.
If CLDR project really wants to handle the distinction between "Irish
Summer Time"
and "Irish Standard Time", it's doable.

However, CLDR technical committee does not want to take an effort to
localize
zone names never used in last 30 years for hundreds of locales. It's just
a policy
issue.

-Yoshito