[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:54:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018, at 14:52, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
> > So just to be clear, CLDR *could* support a Europe/Dublin that had
> > an independent metazone with <standard>Irish Standard Time</
> > standard><daylight>Greenwich Mean Time</daylight>, it's just that
> > synchronizing such a change with the tzdb change is intractable, right?
> >
> > (that version number field is looking more and more important...)
> >

> If we need a single TZ DB zone has changing names time to time, we create
> what we call "meta zone", and define a set of short/long -
> standard/daylight
> /generic name for the meta zone.

That interesting but wasn't really my question. What I was asking, regardless of the semantics of meta vs direct, was whether it would be theoretically workable (in a vacuum presuming everyone can be upgraded to a new tzdb [with winter negative "saving" and summer zero offset standard] concurrently with a version of CLDR data with such a change) for the CLDR to regard a "GMT" with a negative offset as <daylight> and IST as <standard>, even if that would mean it couldn't inherit the translations of "Greenwich Mean Time" from the British zone?