[tz] [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Irelandchange

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Jan 26 13:03:59 UTC 2018

On 26 January 2018 at 07:15, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
> Why do we need all this?

Because applications have APIs that they want to continue to support
in a backwards compatible way. Even if everything were deprecated
today, those APIs would need to be supported for at least 10 years and
probably more. And anyway, I disagree that these APIs should be
deprecated. Just because zic/posiz doesn't expose data doesn't mean
its not useful.

>  all of
> us can go back to doing work that actually provides a useful service
> rather than wasting lots of time looking for solutions to problems that
> no-one really cares about.

TZDB has known about the Ireland issue since 2005. No change was
needed at all. No benefit has accrued, only cost. The change was and
is inadvisable. Numerous people have criticised the change. And over
150 emails have been sent. All for something where the zic binary
output doesn't even care which way the source is defined!!!!

Stephen